Beehive Sewing Studio + Workspace is a place for making, mending, learning, and creating. We never set out to open a fabric store, stocked with thousands of bolts of fabric. Still, you need some fabric, trim, and patterns if you’re going to sew, right?!
Our owner has developed relationships with some auctioneers, estate salespeople, and some incredible fabric companies to bring you vintage and new fabrics, including organics and knits. The selection changes, but will generally include:
- Prepped and sanitized vintage decorator and apparel fabrics
- New solid color organic wovens from Birch Organics, Cloud9, and Organic Cotton Plus
- New solid color organic knits, including interlock, jersey, and rib knit from Birch Organics, Cloud9, and Organic Cotton Plus
Our fabrics are sold:
- By the yard, with the smallest cut 1/4 yard.
- As “baby bolts” or remnants larger than a quarter yard, but smaller than a full yard and priced by the baby bolt. These are great for mid-size projects, like placemats, zippered pouches or small totes
- As “charms” or cuts anywhere from 5″ square up to a “fat quarter” (18″ x 22″). These are great for beginner projects of small or modest sizes, like key chains, gift card holders, cell phone cases, coin purses, and tons of other fun little projects! Charms are priced by the bag.
- As “bits + pieces” or scraps larger than 1.5″ on at least one side, but smaller than a charm. These are great for quilting, zipper tabs, patches, and other very tiny projects. Bits + pieces are priced by the piece or by the bag.
We have a wide selection of vintage laces, sold by the ¼ yard and vintage bias/hem tape sold by the foot. We also have a small selection of spooled ribbon sold by the foot, and tons of vintage bits of trim, appliqués, rosettes, and other fun finds starting at $0.25.
Members have access to our Vintage Pattern Library, which boasts several hundred apparel sewing patterns from the 1940s to 1990s, organized by garment type. These offer a fun way to try a new technique or make something with old-school design appeal. Vintage patterns are not for sale, and we don’t lend them outside of the studio; sewists use them or trace them during a studio visit.